Friday, January 22, 2010

OJT

I am saddened by the circumstances which have brought me to Haiti, but I am thankful for the training I am receiving. I don’t think I could buy training like this anywhere. In 4 days, I have practiced splinting arms and legs, treating burns, treated gun shot wounds, cleaned and debrided numerous lacerations, and I even assisted in delivering a baby. I am glad I got my EMT certification, and I am thankful for the opportunity to expand my knowledge and skills here. Today I treated a gunshot wound, and I learned it is not like Hollywood--unless you can see the bullet, you will do more harm than good by pulling it out, so you just leave it in there. The patient who I cleaned and dressed the gunshot wounds for was so thankful he gave me a kiss on the cheek when I was done. Additionally, I met my bravest patient today. I had an 8 year old girl with a huge skin laceration on her left leg. So much of her skin is missing that she is going to need a skin graft. When I started removing her bandages, she stopped me and wanted to do it herself. She also helped me put clean bandages on again. If I had that much of my leg missing, I don’t think I would even be able to look at it, much less help clean it. I think she might become a doctor some day.

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how many people's lives you've helped for the better. I saw a video today showing a USCG cook at Killick administering shots because the EMT's were busy tending to the really serious injuries. Keep up the amazing work, we're all so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing the Lord's work in Haiti and we are very proud of you. Hope to see you when you get back to the US

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth
    I am so fortunate to have had you as a student. Your devotion to helping others is so inspiring. I pray for you and others like yourself who have assisted in the recovery effort. My you always find much love in all you do.
    A proud teacher
    Bill Farrell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth you have done more in your 3 years in the Navy that most of us did in a 20+ year military career! I know that you are doing more that treating physical wounds...the emotional support that you are providing to those in need is just as important. May HIS light shine through all that you do!
    God Bless!
    Chuck & Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so inspired by your dedication and determination. You ARE the little ensign that could--and did--overcome obstacles. We are praying that you will continue to find joy in the journey and have the strength to carry on with hope in the midst of sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OTJ is the best. Keep up your strength and know that we are with you in spirit & love.
    Grace Network of churches, Frdksbrg Va, to which we belong, is sending a small group tomorrow, to help and assess for follow-up missions.

    ReplyDelete