Sunday, January 17, 2010

Introductions

“What is that you are eating?” the Nigerian captain asked me as I took a bite of my Rice Krispies Treat. “It’s a cereal bar with Marshmallows”, I replied, quickly realizing that he had no idea what Marshmallows were. I was eating lunch with Commander Krasse (Germany), Captain Osinowo (Nigeria), Commander Lord (France), and several other foreign officers on a Saturday afternoon. I was the only woman and the only officer under 30, but the captain had put me in charge of the ship and introducing this select group of officers to American ship life. This lunch and the many interactions that followed reminded me of cultural differences I hadn’t thought much about since being a foreigner myself in Germany, Denmark and Japan. This cruise is my first time inviting foreigners into my culture rather than being the Auslander myself.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of when your German friends were so fascinated by the whipping cream in a can.

    ReplyDelete