Friday, January 22, 2010

Multinational Operation

“I thought of you out on the beach today when I was having champagne and wine on my ship”, the French commander said to the German commander and me. US ships are some of the only military ships not to have beer. As I rode the motor boat in to the beach in the morning, the German commander emphasized that he could not go to much longer without a beer. He is having trouble surviving with our American dry ship policy. He even told me all the solutions such as the French and Italian ships we are near. I think he is very funny. He makes me miss Germany. However, I am getting good practice at German. I try to sit next to him every morning and evening on the boat ride to and from shore so I can practice my German. This gives me 2 fifteen-minute conversations in German per day. I am becoming quite fluent again.

No comments:

Post a Comment