Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Training the Ensigns

Today the chief engineer asked me to develop a 2 week lecture series to teach all of our new officers the basics of diesel engineering. I consider training the new officers to get their surface warfare qualifications very important and valuable. I don’t feel that I had the most positive training experience as a new ensign, and I consider it my personal mission to ensure that the new officers here get more help than I did. I don’t want them to feel like they are just thrown on the ship alone for on the job training. Therefore, I submitted a training plan to the senior watch officer, and I am going to spend 1 hour each day explaining how the air conditioning, ballasting and other engineering systems on the ship work and taking them on tours around the ship. I think it will be very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment